Jacek,

"If anyone has troubles with adding dependency on pex_exceptions in log module, let me know asap. see https://github.com/lsst/log/pull/1/files "

I don't think this is a good idea. I see the point in https://jira.lsstcorp.org/browse/DM-2482 , which is that it wants Python code to be able to catch exceptions thrown by log appenders, but I think that logging is one of those fundamental things that *must always work*. I would rather make logging exception-free. I'd like to be able to do logging when catching exceptions, and throwing exceptions within exceptions leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Can we find some other way to address this issue? Can we trap exceptions (and set a flag that can be checked) inside logging so that they can never be passed up?

The dependency problem is a bit troublesome: "I'm developing c++ binaries, wait, I need swig? what?"
I hesitate to add another package "pylog" that depends on "log", but that would be an easy way to make the dependency more palatable. Or, we can split the c++ only part (without swig) into "cpplog" and have c++ programs depend on that instead.

-Daniel