OK, I went through all the release differences and there are two issues here:

1) Redirect lists with IPv6 addresses are not correctly handled. This problem exists in all releases and is scheduled to be fixed in R 4.1.2, This is true for data servers as well as supervisors (though it is rare that supervisors would be redirected).

2) In the presence of IPv6 addresses, data servers must be at 4.1.2 to properly handle the redirect list. That means you cannot mix IPv6 managers/supervisors with data servers that are at a lower release level. The reason is that there was no IPv6 support prior to R 4.0.0. Of course, because of this bug the data servers must be at 4.1.2 if IPv6 addresses are enabled for managers or supervisors (as noted).

The only mitigation at this point is to turn off IPv6 mode for managers and supervisors (i.e. "-I v4" command line option). This should apply at least to the cmsd, for completeness I would recommend also applying it to the xrootd.