I don't know the reason for that but maybe you are better of using the
native XROOTD way  e.g. all files are owned by xrootd in the back you
define the access restrictions via the auth DB file.
(our auth library has some security implications one must be aware of!)

In your auth db you can just define rules by users like:

# every use has a private directory
u foo /data/foo/ a
u bar /data/bar/ a
# all the xrootd group members share read permission
g xrootd /data/ r

and that should give exactly the behaviour you were describing ...

But maybe I don't understand fully your use case. You want to change files
only via XROOTD or also on the back on the file system via some other
mechanism?

Cheers Andreas.