Hi Andy,

Thanks very much for looking at this and trying my problem reproducer. I've seen problems when using xrootd 3.3.6 and xrootd 4.2.1, on SL6, x86_64.

When I was trying my minimal program was showing problems in more than 50% of runs. So I'd expect the example to show at least one run with problems in, say 5 runs. However strictly speaking it relies that some undefined behaviour will make it crash or hang, so there may be no amount of runs which will show the problem. But, since it was so frequent in my test I took the risk that it would indeed show the problem for you.

Would you mind trying:

csh
setenv XRD_ENABLEFORKHANDLERS 1
setenv MALLOC_CHECK_ 2
setenv MALLOC_PERTURB_ 85
repeat 1000 ./a.out

to see if one of the runs fails? If not I see clearly need to make a better reproducer instructions or give some other information.

Yours,
David