Hi David et al,

We now understand the problem. The old client is not geared for forking if any files are open. That means all open files must be closed prior to forking. The test case supplied did not follow that rule and I suspect that the failing ATLAS code does not follow that rule as well. I am of the opinion that this problem should be closed as user error. If ATLAS needs files to remain open across a fork() then they will need to upgrade to the 4.x release and use the new client. I know that may be problematic because (until this is resolved) root is not built against 4.x. Furthermore, certain C-Library calls (like popen()) do an implicit fork which, when fork handlers are enabled, will cause the program to fail. Yes, in those cases it's not obvious that all files need to be closed before making such a call. Fixing this is a rather odious task. What is your opinion?

---
https://github.com/xrootd/xrootd/issues/244#issuecomment-113673786