From: Nathan Baltzell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 1:31 PM
To: Graf, Norman A.
Cc: Stepan Stepanyan; hps-software; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [Hps-analysis] SVT ECal relative alignment

Hi Norman,

We took a look at this and I think this is due to lack of depth/position correction (since the one in the reconstruction code is for data with b-field).

There is an analytic correction that requires only geometry (track and crystal angles) and shower depth as inputs.  And we have a measure of the shower depth for these same crystals measured from a previous experiment (albeit with photons, average energy around 1.5 GeV).
If we estimate the average geometry from the 2-d plot you showed and remember that target is 4m upstream from ecal, this gives average expected y-errors of -2.5 mm for top and +2.5 mm for bottom, and -3 mm for x.  This happens to be a good match with the residuals you measure.

Need to parameterize the crystal angles as function of x/y and then send a correction for you to try.

There also is a small x-rotation for top half of ecal from the survey which is not in lcsim.
That could explain the difference in dx for top/bottom.

-Nathan & Holly