I suppose a silly question but why can't the postmaster be initialized before we start all the other threads? Why did this start showing up now? I do agree that an atomic read/write would work here but it's iffy whether or not an atomic read/write will be more efficient than getting a lock. In general, a full memory barrier has to be established around the memory access. For most (though not all) X86 architecture that is automatic for properly aligned values, which we have here. I agree, it's usually a problem for non-X86 architectures.