I will merge the pull request because it fixes the problem in this particular case. It seems obvious to me that the mutex should be unlocked before calling the handlers, that's why it is done so (line 778), but since the mutex is recursive it has no effect in this particular case. Unlocking the mutex in the callee class wont have any side effects because it will anyway go out of scope.

I will also create a separate issue because the current implementation is error prone and problem has to be addressed.