Thaks to both of you for looking into this. I agree, moving this to the thread pool is the best solution. I already had to something similar in another package. There a synchronous file operation was invoked in the callback which resulted in a stuck thread because the callback code path kept the socket disabled until the callback returned; which of course would never happen. So, let's just solve all of these issues at once instead of battling each when we come across it. Unfortunately, this is not a quick solution either.

---
https://github.com/xrootd/xrootd/issues/257#issuecomment-120132232