Hi @otron ,

Lukasz's suggestion is probably the simplest and cleanest. I've created a branch in my github checkout of xrootd and added a new setup_pypi.py file to properly generate the sdist package. The current one from the XRootD package is not able to do this as the setup.py MANIFEST assumes all the necessary python files are in the same directory which is not the case.

Therefore, check it out - it should properly build the sdist pkg. If you are satisfied and all works as you expect it, I can merge it into the master. The downside bit is that it pollutes the xrootd source directory when you create the sdis pkg, but this is a one off when creating the package to put it in PyPI. The alternative would be to copy all into the build directory ... also not nice.

The branch I created is: https://github.com/esindril/xrootd/tree/enhance_python_sdist

Cheers,
Elvin