Hello again, @esindril.
As it is now, the version number is generated/retrieved upon installing the python package using a script that isn't portable. I'd like to change it so that the version number is generated/retrieved as a part of the package uploading process via the tox script we discussed last week.

The tox script requires the addition of a single config file in the xrootd project directory. Executing it will generate and upload the python package for you, allowing you to easily integrate this with your existing release process.

I'll submit a PR to your branch with the required changes when it's ready.