On Fri, 7 Aug 2015, Serge Monkewitz wrote:

> (Aside: I don˙˙t understand how a process run as qserv was allowed to
>create an empty file in there, as the directory is not group writeable)
I don't understand that either but have been bitten by this problem more
that I would like to say. It's annoying and maybe it has something to do
with AFS. But if the token expired (which likely it did) it shouldn;y have
vene created a zero length file. It's very exasperating.

The defintive place where the core file is supposed to get created can be
determined by 'lsof -p <pid>' for the process and looking for CWD. I think
I will add a message to the log explicitly saying what the current working
directory is as this seems to be a point of confusion.

Andy