Thanks Lukasz for the confirmation. What I had more in mind was to update this line in the code:
https://github.com/xrootd/xrootd/blob/master/src/XrdCl/XrdClFileStateHandler.cc#L1448

Since I have all the proper path and upaque info in the url object which is passed as a parameter to the ReOpenAtServer method. The pFileUrl object which is currently used contains the inital path and opaque info. Therefore, the question would be, do you remember why you used:
std::string path = u.GetPathWithParams(); rather than std::string path = url.GetPathWithParams();?

Indeed I can merge the opaque info from pFileUrl with the opaque info form url but I believe this is already done when I get the call for ReOpenAtServer. The url parameter contains all the relevant info. Also the way the ReOpenAtServer method is called seems to me to contain the necessary url info depending on the redirection type.