I have had a closer look, and, while the reasoning that the flags should not be unset if the first open is not successful is correct, this branch: https://github.com/xrootd/xrootd/blob/master/src/XrdCl/XrdClFileStateHandler.cc#L1445 always eveluates to true. This is because FileStateHandler does stateful recovery and kXR_open establishes the state, does not require any pre-existing state (ie. file handles, session ids) and thus is a stateless request by itself. Any recovery for kXR_open is handled together with other stateless requests, like kXR_mkdir in XRootDMsgHandler. This means that the behavior wrt. the open flags was correct in the first place. Sorry for causing the confusion, my memory of all this stuff is slowly fading.