Hello,

It seems we have more and more often to use Qserv dependencies from
source (like xrootd or qserv_testdata) during each sprint.
A very simple eups setup would ease a lot this task. This setup is quite
robust because it is already used for release procedure (see.
https://confluence.lsstcorp.org/display/DM/Qserv+Release+Procedure):

Each time you have updated a Qserv dependency what you could do is:

- Trigger a build in buildbot, verify it is successful (or wait for
hourly builds): http://lsst-buildx.ncsa.illinois.edu:8010/waterfall; and
get the BUILD ID from the logs (# BUILD ID: bXXX).
- Publish the buildbot build under a temporary eups-tag ("qserv-dev"),
e.g., on lsst-dev machine, using lsstsw account:
*|publish -t qserv-dev -b bXXXX qserv_distrib|*

were bXX is a buildbot id from the log. To find it, just grep for "BUILD
ID" in the buildbot log file.

- Test it (on any machine with web access, the machine should have a
qserv repository):

|# this script should still work, but I'm not sure as I didn't build any
release from a while :-)
# you can also use your own procedure to launch mono-node integration
test agains qserv-dev release
bash| |<qserv repo>||/admin/tools/qserv-install||.sh -i ~||/stack/| |-d

And then anyone of us can easily update to the latest eups stack with
next command, and we wouldn't have to
think about ad-hoc dependency management.

*eups distrib install qserv -t qserv-dev**
**setup qserv -t qserv-dev*

Would you agree to test it?

Cheers,

Fabrice

P.S.: Using this procedure would also ease a lot built and maintenance
of a Docker container aimed at development tasks.