Because it was only possible to test the manager of the target cluster instead of the actual disk server, which is pointless. The disk server can be determined only after the first open succeeded. It is too late to verify whether a TPC is possible after you already assumed it is and are in the middle of the procedure.

@abh3 had very good non-technical reasons for designing the TPC protocol the way it is. However, if we only look at it from technical perspective, it is much much more complicated than it should be. I am not surprised that you encounter problems.

---
https://github.com/xrootd/xrootd/issues/270#issuecomment-146160089