I agree that it's a security bug that needed fixing. What I was asking is: why did we end up in this situation in the first place. By sending kXR_waitresp the server essentially indicates to the client that it is impossible to answer immediately and the client may need to wait a long time for the answer. The server then answers so fast that it causes a data race in the client, it's a bit strange :)

By returning Take the handler indicates to the queuing system that it wants to consume the current message and the message should not be given to any other handler. By returning Ignore the handler tells the queuing system that it is not interested and other handlers should be polled. Returning both Take and Ignore at the same time is a bit confusing. It would be probably better to add another flag called Sync that would cause the queuing system to call the handler from current context instead of scheduling the asynchronous job. This way Elvin probably wouldn't have to add clarifying comments :)