The ticket #288 about RLIM_INFINITY reminded me of a separate failure mode we noticed - the system hitting pid_max.

The file /proc/sys/kernel/pid_max indicates the maximum number of processes on the system (in Linux, a thread is a process). By default, this is 32k - meaning there's an implicit limit of 32k threads in a single daemon.

However, to be safe, we should probably limit the Xrootd threads to pid_max - epsilon (epsilon is maybe 2000) to account for the fact that there are likely other threads on the system!