Currently, we set the max to 64000 if infinity has been specified. You are right, it should be based on pid_max - 2000. But even then, I'd rather not have it go above 30000 regardless. NPROC is sensitive to the maximum amount of memory you have and nothing prevents an admin of ignoring that. Of course, givn that the default pid_max is typically set too 32768 and few people change that. Setting the absolute maximum to 30000 should work out just fine. That would be the simplest solution.