Hello Andy

I guess most of the stat/open calls are from opening shared libraries and
directories. Depending on your LD_LIBRARY_PATH there could be many
failed attempts to open or stat a file.
For example opening libc.so I see three attempts:
open("/opt/xrootd/prod/lib/libc.so.6", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/reg/g/psdm/sw/releases/dm-current/arch/x86_64-rhel7-gcc48-opt/lib/libc.so.6", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/lib64/libc.so.6", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3

Also the strace didn't include the '-f' flag so not all threads are traced
and therefore the reads are very low.

I ran "strace -c -f" for a 24 GB file and I see:

% time seconds usecs/call calls errors syscall
------ ----------- ----------- --------- --------- ----------------
71.19 50.881974 5098 9981 1097 futex
17.94 12.818864 312655 41 1 nanosleep
9.99 7.138469 23 314920 36189 read