OK, I have tried this in various combinations. I have run xrdcp under gdb and killed it after opening the file with the --posc option. I consistently have the server unpersist the file. You should see something like this in the server's log:

151125 18:33:14 25655 ofs_Unpersist: Unpersisting abh.32369:22@rhel6-64b /tmp/motd
and the file is indeed unpersisted. This happens all the time in clustered and standalone configurations. So, unless there is additional information that shows that this does not happen, I am going to close this ticket.