Dear All,

The preparations for XLDB-2016 are well under way. In a nutshell, we
have set up the usual website, formed the organizing committee, and
come up with a draft program for a 3-day conference (no invitational
workshop). We are working with government representatives to engage
their Big Data experts. We are now opening the call for lightning
talks, looking for sponsors, and asking for help with reaching out
to new communities. For further details, read below and check the
website at xldb.org/2016.

-----

I formed the organizing committee:
  * Magdalena Balazinska (University of Washington)
  * Chaitanya Baru (NSF)
  * Philip Bourne (NIH)
  * Per Brashers (Yttibrium LLC)
  * Stephen Brobst (Teradata)
  * Jeremy Cole (Google)
  * Tim Frazier (Oracle)
  * Martin Kersten (CWI)
  * Florin Rusu (U.C. Merced)
Local logistics, registration and finances will be handled like
in the past by Brigid Neff (Stanford) and Karin Horwath (SLAC).

The committee has been actively working on the conference program
since mid October. The topics we are planning to cover are aligned
with suggestions we heard last year:
* real-time analytics
* decoupling compute from storage
* big data management and analytics as a cloud service
* security in big data systems
* long term storage
* late schema bindings.

The draft program can be found at
http://www-conf.slac.stanford.edu/xldb2016/Program.asp

We are expecting increased attendance / participation from
the US Government. To allow enough time for all the above
topics and to accommodate some speakers from the government,
we decided to switch from a previously planned "2-day
conference + 1-day workshop" to "3-day conference & no workshop".
As such, we will start in the morning on Tuesday May 24
and finish after lunch on Thursday May 26. The afternoon on
Thursday is reserved for brainstorming in a smaller group
about the next XLDB.

We are also accepting abstracts for lightning talks and/or
posters. The deadline for submitting abstracts is March 7.

We expect to open registration in mid January.

As always, we can't organize the event without sponsors.
If your company can help us offset the costs of the event,
please contact me.

Further details including the draft program, links to abstract
submission form, organizing committee, and information for
sponsors can be found at xldb.org/2016.

We are always looking to engage new communities we haven't
talked to before, so we'd appreciate your passing along the
information about XLDB-2016 to these you know who are unaware
of our conference and would benefit from attending.

The list of speakers is not final, so if you happen to know
any speakers that you believe would be a good fit for the
topics we plan to cover, please bring them to our attention.

Best regards,
Jacek
XLDB-2016 Organizing Committee Chair