We seem to be able to trigger it pretty regularly which is forcing us to spend our time dropping the spurious .*.log on a daily base.
Now this statistic makes me think that it's not only bad luck that we restart xrootd in between the -p check and the echo statement. I believe that every single restart of xrootd triggers triggers log rotation somehow (or at least some equivalent code) and that we thus have a race condition during the restart.
Anyway, it would be nice to fix this as soon as possible as it makes the administration of large xrootd clusters a real pain.