Ah, ok, I didn't realize it was merged in.

Thinking more on the subject, I don't see any reason why the GIL needs to be held when making the calls into the XrdCl library. I think if you can wrap all the calls into the library begin / end allow threads. I.e.,

      Py_BEGIN_ALLOW_THREADS
      status = self->file->Open( url, flags, mode, timeout );
      Py_END_ALLOW_THREADS

Since only one mutex is held at a time, we don't get a lock inversion.