This MYSQL_DIR is set in Qserv scons script using something like 'which
mysqld'.
Previously, it was using 'which mysqld_safe', but for unknow reason
mysqld_safe is also contained is mariadbclient package (I think it
shouldn't),
this was preventing correct mariadb server detection and causing the bug
you've seen.

Regards,

Fabrice