Yes, nice of them to deprecate a standard POSIX function with this very recent patch

https://www.sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2016-02/msg00093.html

Of course, the corresponding glibc 2.24 should make readdir thread-safe or the patch doesn't make much sense (though that kind of mistake has happened before). Apparently, this was a security issue with programs passing a too small buffer. Anyway, there are several problems here, one of which is that we do not always use glibc; so the gnu approach is not portable. I don't see a good solution here. Likely, others will complain as well.