This is a message for HPS Java developers only, so if that doesn't apply to you then please ignore.

I went to do some cleanup on trunk today by converting all unwanted tabs in our source code to spaces.  When I did this, I noticed that about 300 of our .java files have unwanted tabs in them.  This is quite a few more files than I had expected.  Some people are using 4 spaces and others 8, so this makes a lot of our source code formatting a mess, especially in files with a mix of tabs and spaces.

In my working copy, I have already cleaned this up using a script which converts tabs to 4 space indents without touching any other formatting.  I wanted to double check that it is alright to commit these changes (tentatively tomorrow morning though there's no hurry).  It should have no effect on our output results because it is just source code formatting.  But if you have a heavily modified working copy then this could potentially cause conflicts because it will look like many lines have changed between the local and repo copies.  Or it might not cause any problems at all, but I just wanted to discuss it first in case anyone has a large number of changes in their working copy of trunk that should be committed first.  If this applies to you, please let me know ASAP.

Once all tabs are exterminated from HPS Java sources, I'm planning on adding a 'checkstyle' plugin step to the Maven config which will fail the build if tabs are found in our source code.  This will print a message telling you that the source code has unwanted tabs and on which lines.  Asking people not to use tabs and to configure their IDEs properly is clearly not working well, and our source code is messy because of it.  So I think we should have something more strict where tabs are completely disallowed in the build to clean this problem up for good.

Thanks.

--Jeremy