I've forwarded this question to the Root Talk forum ( https://root.cern.ch/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21179 ),
unfortunately it looks like there are some differences in the exit sequence between root v5 and v6 they didn't manage to port back.

Also,

Note that there are some side evidence that the success you see in v6 might actually just be 'luck' and that it might actually have technically the same problem.

Well, but there are some xrootd plug-ins in production ...

@xrootd-dev I actually would like to have a deeper look into the (build-)configuration options of your working environment, because I actually have a pretty vanilla ROOT installation otherwise.

I've also tried everything in a CentOS VM, reproducing the same error.

JK
l, but there are some xrootd plug-ins in production ...

@xrootd-dev I actually would like to have a deeper look into the (build-)configuration options of your working environment, because I actually have a pretty vanilla ROOT installation otherwise.

I've also tried everything in a CentOS VM, reproducing the same error with my plug-in.

JK