Hi Bob,

I would like to add Qserv will likely run faster with more RAM on the worker nodes. Currently, Qserv will work best if it can lock the shared scan tables for 2 or 3  chunks in memory, and not all the memory can be made available for locking the tables. At in2p3, about 10GB is available for locking tables, which is a bit low for the the size of the tables in our chunks. It's worth considering 32GB or more of RAM for the workers in the cluster.

-John

From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Fabrice Jammes <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 7:50 AM
To: Marcus Ebert
Cc: rgm; Dominique Boutigny; Eckhard Sutorius; George Beckett; qserv-l; Emmanuel GANGLER; Philippe Gris; VULPESCU Bogdan; Yvan Calas; Fabio Hernandez
Subject: Re: [QSERV-L] ingesting data into qserv

Hi Bob,

Please let me know when the mysql database will be ready. I'll also be in vacation at then end of July and August.
Here's some information about machines we currently use to run Qserv:

- 50 Dell nodes X
    - 10TB hard disk (7TB partition dedicated to data)
    - 8 cores (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2603 v2 @ 1.80GHz)
    - 16 GB RAM

We currently split this in two clusters, each with an identical ~30TB dataset (i.e. 1,2 TB per node), but we plan to load 120TB in the middle-term.
This cluster is used for development purpose, for running large scale tests against fresh Qserv code.

I think this setup is reasonable, other Qserv developers might give you additional informations.

Fabio and Yvan, from IN2P3 computing center, might also provide you additional information about hardware.

Regards,

Fabrice