I wanted to bring up a topic that has been on my mind for some time ....

I was looking through conditions code today and noticed that there is a lot of special handling done for the Test Run.  To some extent, this is true thoughout our code base in certain modules.

Given that (I'm almost 100% sure) the reconstruction and the EVIO data converter do not any longer work with Test Run data, and likely never will again, should we think about stripping out this code for cleanup/simplification purposes?

I know that this is a fairly tough decision (obviously not going to do anything to what is there without consensus) but I really don't see it being helpful to keep around a bunch of code that is broken or only works partially and will likely never work again.

I would also advocate deleting the Test Run detector models and (maybe?) archiving the conditions sets from that era in a database backup.

I suppose this sounds drastic to "delete" these things from the code.  But SVN saves all revisions of the repository so it would still be available if needed and someone wanted to look at it (personally doubtful that anyone will ever look at the Test Run data again or try to run reconstruction on it but please correct me if I'm wrong).  The hps-java CVS, which may have been used during that era, is also still operational.

Any thoughts/comments here are appreciated.

--Jeremy