Hi Maurik, all,
thanks, with this fix I am able to read my local db.

But, er... as Sho was supposing, I am afraid I am not able to provide the
proper db dump. I am retrieving the hps_conditions db, is this correct?
or do I need a different one?
To get it, I use the command

> mysqldump -f --lock-tables=false -h hpsdb.jlab.org -u hpsuser -p
hps_conditions > hps_conditions_2016_12_11.mysql

if I don't use the -f flag the dump ends almost immediately with this
complaint (and the dumpfile is small and clearly incomplete):

mysqldump: Couldn't execute 'show create table
`conditions_engrun2015_pass2`': SHOW VIEW command denied to user
[log in to unmask] for table 'conditions_engrun2015_pass2' (1142)

If I add the -f flag, it still complains with this and other similar
warnings (telling that I cannot view conditions_engrun_pass1_view and
svt_alignments_engrun_view), but the dump goes on and the dumpfile is much
larger (but this does not mean it contains everything needed, I suppose).
When I run hps-java, after some happy queries, I get this message:

com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table
'hps_conditions.run_summaries' doesn't exist

so clearly I am missing something/doing something wrong with the dump.
Any idea?
If it's too complicated and involving privileges I haven't, I would
be happy just to retrieve a recent dumpfile from somewhere, if someone can
provide me one copy (I have an old one, dating back to 2015, but I guess
it's too old - and indeed it does not work properly).
Thanks for your help.
cheers
     Alessandra