Hi Adrian,

We do try to minimize command line arguments that can come from the config
file. However, certain information cannot come from the config file
because it is needed way before the config file is read. For instance,

-n established the instance and that is needed to create various
directories at start-up time.

-l establishedsthe log file and we reall need to write out errors we
encounter before we even get to the config file.

-s Well, that was put in there so that init_d could verify whether or not
the server started and, while it can come from the config file, makes it
easier to see what pid file should be checked by just looking at the init
script.

-b places the server in the background before the config file is read (I
suppose that could come the config file), though using -b is a standard
way of daemonizing servers.

-d sets debugging at the earliest possible moment. Generally, one should
not specify this option unless there is an aboslute reason to do so since
it severly impacts server performance. Gentler tracing is available from
the config file.

Andy