Hi Oliver,

-----Original Message-----
From: Oliver Freyermuth
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:25 AM
If I understand correctly, this would be "only" the part for exporting
existing filesystems. Would it also include the reverse way, i.e., a user
creates a new file in xrootdfs,
and the xrootd data server creates the file with correct owner / group /
permissions on the backing filesystem? Maybe even ACLs - or is this breaking
the scope of xrootd?
+++The current scope would allow you to export ownership as well as to
record it. The ACL part is difficult because there really is no standard.
That would mean designing a new ACL plugin that would be specific to each
file system and that's a lot of work.

I believe the reason for the requests you receive are a result of xrootds
"easy of use": It's really simple to set-up a clustered system with a
redirector, supporting HA, load balancing and authentication,
with high performance out of the box. Re-using this cluster to export a
general purpose filesystem, for example to mount the HPC storage in
containers which may run on other Grid sites or in the cloud,
would then be a really cool feature.
+++I agree and we are getting there, though not many people are pushing for
it so it hasn't percolated to the top of the list.

Andy