Thanks Norman.

I’d like to start the release process in a few hours then…please let me know if you have any objections.

On Nov 17, 2017, at 11:56 AM, McCormick, Jeremy I. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:


Moved this discussion to the software list...

Release options:

- end of day today

- tomorrow morning

- Monday Nov 27 

I will be gone all next week without my computer available, and I know many others are going to be gone for the holiday.

There is one remaining fix that we are waiting on (dPhi error in tracking).

If we want to verify/check output using analysis code, then it is probably not possible to release by the end of the day today unless someone does this immediately.

I am leaning towards making the 4.0 release at the end of the day today and then making additional “patch” releases as necessary (4.0.1, etc.).  I would strongly suggest that we not run the pass using an hps-java snapshot, if at all possible.

Join the #project-2015pass7 channel on Slack to discuss in more detail.


On Nov 17, 2017, at 11:44 AM, Maurik Holtrop <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello Norman,

Thank you for all the work you and others have put into getting ready for pass7. I agree that we should make the 4.0 software release now. If there is an additional fix, we can always still move to 4.1 later, before the start of pass7.

I would like to hear an explicit “yes” from all of the people that will be directly involved in the analysis of the output of pass7, so at least from the students whose thesis depends on pass7. It should not be too time consuming to run the output of tpass7d through your basic analysis code and look at the output to make sure everything seems OK. Running through the full pass7 represents a real effort, plus computing resources, so it is very important to have a say now whether the output looks good.


On Nov 17, 2017, at 2:33 PM, Graf, Norman A. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello All,

I believe we are very close to being ready for the pass7 reconstruction. All of the issues listed on our checklist at

have been addressed and although tpass7d did identify one new source of error (the "BorderedBandMatrix decomposeBand not positive definite" exception) I think we could live with that for now.

Jeremy is standing by to make a software release.

So I think we have a few decisions to make.

First, should we proceed with the software release? My opinion is to go ahead and do so. It tags what we have working now and if we wish to start the full production next week it will be available. If we identify new issues during the testing of tpass7d we can make a new release during the week of November 27 (since both Jeremy and I will be on vacation next week).

Next is when to proceed with the full pass7 reconstruction. Here I am not so sure. I would like to give people a chance to analyze the tpass7d output and sign off on the results. I don't want to rush this and seeing how it is already Friday afternoon we should give people at least a few days next week. Unfortunately, several of us (me included) will be on vacation next week, so the final decision on whether to start the pass next week will have to be taken by others.

Please let me know what you think. Unless I hear otherwise I will ask Jeremy to start the software release.


Use REPLY-ALL to reply to list

To unsubscribe from the HPS-SOFTWARE list, click the following link:

Use REPLY-ALL to reply to list

To unsubscribe from the HPS-SOFTWARE list, click the following link: