Dear SiD Colleagues,

It has been another interesting year for the ILC. The staging of the ILC
with a  startup at 250 GeV and approximately 40% cost reduction
may be the  way forward to get the ILC approved in Japan - the famous
green light we have been waiting for. It is evident, that 250 GeV is
only the start of a successful ILC programme and the aim is still to
reach 500 GeV, and ultimately 1 TeV.

We also now have a clear deadline for a decision, as was clearly
stated several times: that if there is no statement from Japan by the end
of 2018, the ILC will not be part of the European Strategy discussions
in 2019/2020. This would most likely bring the ILC project to an end in
Europe and very likely the other regions would follow.

While the overall political climate - particularly in Europe - is
generally favorable for the ILC project, the actual funding available is
minute and the global community is struggling to maintain momentum.

Despite all this, we have been making progress on many subjects. The key
achievement is certainly the new simulation/reconstruction framework.
A big thanks to the SiD Optimization team lead by Jan and Aidan
for completing this task.

We look forward to the opening of a new era in our work for SiD and the
ILC that would follow a positive decision from Japan.

We wish everyone a very Happy Holiday and very best wishes
for a safe, productive and Happy New Year!

Best regards,

Andy and Marcel