> In my understanding, we do not index tables on worker for now.
> [...] and we try not to add indexes on the worker to save space, and time.

While others can speak to the situation in our current instances, we
absolutely must have indexes on the worker nodes to support "small"
queries in full production.  These would include an objectId index (in
addition to the "secondary index") and a spatial index (HTM-based in the
baseline).

It is true that indexes on measured columns like flux/magnitude are not
likely to be worth the space or time given the relatively large fraction
of rows that would be returned by a query on the index -- as long as we
are using spinning media.  Because of seek penalties, a full table scan
is preferred to an index lookup for anything more than tiny numbers of
rows.

--
Kian-Tat Lim, LSST Data Management, [log in to unmask]