Cool, I remember reading about it as teenager in the "Věda a technika mládeži" / "Science and Technology for Youth"). It was quite a nice magazine especially for communist times.

I was quite in the cosmos stuff as many of my generation back then, mainly due to Jiri Grygar who popularized the science on TV. He was like a Czech version of Carl Sagan.

BTW in the same magazine I learned about SLAC for the first time too, haha.

Petr

From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Olson, Jeffrey R
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2019 8:36 AM
To: klystron-soccer <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: European Southern Observatory

No soccer in this e-mail, just a little history.

I had told a few of you working on an instrument associated with the European Southern Observatory that I had a soft spot for that facility since my grandfather, who was president of AURA at the time, led the effort to coordinate funding to open the first telescope atop the mountain.  There was an ESO press release today about the 50th anniversary of the opening of the La Silla telescope:

https://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1906/?lang

The 5th photo down in the column on the left shows a photo of AURA and ESO officials. My grandfather (Frank Edmondson) is the bearded guy with the orange shirt on the horse. One of the other guys in the photo is J.H. Oort, of Oort Cloud fame.

https://www.eso.org/public/images/eso0912d/

- Jeff

Jeffrey R. Olson, Ph.D.
Principal Research Scientist

Advanced Technology Center
Lockheed Martin Space
O/A013D, B/245
3251 Hanover St.
Palo Alto, CA  94304 -1191
650-424-2181

To unsubscribe from the KLYSTRON-SOCCER list, click the following link:
https://listserv.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=KLYSTRON-SOCCER&A=1

Use REPLY-ALL to reply to list