From: Albert Rossi
Sent: Monday, March 4, 2019 9:43 AM
To: xrootd-dev
Cc: Dmitry O Litvintsev
Subject: SutBucket structure for main bucket in 4.9

Hello all,

I have looked through the GSI documentation for this, but cannot find an answer.

I now notice that on the cert step, our server is receiving a main bucket from the 4.9 client which does not begin with the PROTOCOL, but is prefaced by another 16 bytes.

In HEX dump:

05 EC 68 5A AB 6A 0E 2D 99 16 1F 88 49 AC BE 0E 67 73 69 00 00 00 03 E9

As you can see, the Protocol byte sequence (underscored) is no longer at the front of the bucket (67, 73, 69 = 'g', 's', 'i' ... and then 03 39 translates into the unsigned short 1001 = step).

What are those 16 extra bytes?

It seems the server needs to do something similar now as well, because when I send off the normally structured bucket to the client containing the proxy request (where PROTOCOL and STEP are the first things inside the main bucket), I see this error:  "No protocol name: do nothing",

[arossi@otfrid Desktop]$ xrdcp49 /etc/fstab root://fndcatemp1.fnal.gov:1095//pnfs/fs/usr/test/arossi/volatile/testdata-`date | tr ' ' '.'`

190304 09:07:43 28150 sut_Buffer::XrdSutBuffer: no protocol name: do nothing

[0B/0B][100%][==================================================][0B/s]

Run: [FATAL] Auth failed

which suggests to me it is expecting the protocol bytes in a different position.

It would have been more convenient if these kinds of changes were described in the protocol document.

Be that as it may, could you point me in the direction of the correct solution?

Thanks again, Al

Albert L. Rossi
Application Developer & Systems Analyst III
Scientific Computing Division, Data Movement Development
FCC 229A
Mail Station 369 (FCC 2W)
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
Batavia, IL 60510