Hello Adrian & Oliver,

>just to chime in - I have fallen into the very same trap :-(.
>But that easily explains why I did not notice any load balancing effects.
Yes, the issue here is that the "sched" directive is used by the redirector
and the "perf" directive is used by the data server. That means, depending
on how you structured your config file, catching the discrepancy is not
assured.  That said, yes, the documentation should make it clear that
cms.perf needs to be specified on the data server side. if you want to load
balance.

>While I fully agree a working default would be good,
The first issue is to where to put the script so that it could be uniformly
invoked. Since there was no good place, we decided to not to make a default
(that's explicitly stated in the documentation).

>the script shipped with XRootD right now is mostly useless on modern
>systems - it only works with CentOS 6 and older since it hardcodes the
>expected >columns from netstat output,
That's the second reason for there being no default. Load collection scripts
are, by necessity, sensitive to the OS and OS version being used. Since we
couldn't guarantee that the script would do anything useful for future OS's,
making it the default didn't seem like a good idea. Frankly, I still think a
default is not a good idea as you really need to verify the script works for
your particular OS. I suppose we could make that more clear in the docs.

>I'd be willing to fix this ot just use the kernel interface from procfs:
>/proc/net/dev
That would be greatly appreciated :-)

>However, the script right now also seems to be made for working on SunOS,
>and also uses a different version of netstat there -
>and I don't have any SunOS node to test.
>Would it be fine to drop SunOS support?
We no longer support Solaris (a.k.a SunOS). So, the answer is yes.

Andy