Hi together,

Am 17.06.19 um 12:15 schrieb Adrian Sevcenco:
>>> so, given that cms.perf was not set up should i understand that the specifications of cpu and io in cms.sched are just ignored as there is no facility for load reporting?
>> Yes, the values were always set to zero.
> uh oh .. i think that on cms.sched documentation should be a BOLD note, specifying that the option is invalid without cms.perf
>
> additionally, i think that cms.perf should default to use the script that is packaged with the xrootd to have a minimal functional tool

just to chime in - I have fallen into the very same trap :-(.
But that easily explains why I did not notice any load balancing effects.

While I fully agree a working default would be good,
the script shipped with XRootD right now is mostly useless on modern systems - it only works with CentOS 6 and older since it hardcodes the expected columns from netstat output,
which varies by version (there is one column less on CentOS 7 and newer).
I'd be willing to fix this ot just use the kernel interface from procfs:
/proc/net/dev
which contains the very same information apart from MTU and network device speed (which is in any case mostly guessed by the script),
and is much more stable (same columns on CentOS 6 and CentOS 7).

However, the script right now also seems to be made for working on SunOS, and also uses a different version of netstat there -
and I don't have any SunOS node to test.

Would it be fine to drop SunOS support?
Then any use of "netstat" could be easily removed from the script, increasing portability.

Cheers,
	Oliver