Hello,
So, I've tried various interpretations of the documentation, but I'm
obviously missing something.

I'm trying to configure an Xrootd Proxy Cache, backed by storage
aggregated into an oss.space.

The cache is configured like:

oss.space public /storage0*
#oss.space public default /

ofs.osslib libXrdPss.so
pss.cachelib libXrdFileCache.so
pfc.ram 16g
all.trace all
all.log all
pfs.diskusage 0.90 0.95

all.export /xroot:/ outplace
all.export /root:/ outplace

all.export / outplace

pss.origin svr01.beowulf.cluster:1094
xrd.allow host *.beowulf.cluster

pfc.blocksize 256k

pfc.spaces public public

where the /storage0* spaces are all writable and owned by the xrootd
user (and when we start up the server, it creates "public" directories
in each of them).

However, whenever I try to access a file through the proxy, it logs
that it couldn't write the file to the disk (specifying its path as if
it was going to write it to the storage with no prefix - that is,
outside of the specified "public" space, in the literal root
filesystem).
If this was a non-spaces based system, I'd specify oss.localroot, but
that doesn't seem to apply to a space?
I tried adding the outplace directives to the all.exports, but this
hasn't changed anything.

What am I missing? None of the example configurations I can see with
oss.spaces seem to need any additional configuration directives...

Sam