Hi All,

There will not be a meeting on Accelerators this week. The next meeting, by zoom, will be scheduled some time this week. We will have two presentations:
1) Lili Ma will discuss “novel magnetron phase locking method” to meet the needs of cheaper RF sources for power hungry scientific instruments (colliders)
2) Spencer Gessner will discuss plasma lenses, a nascent technology that could improve the luminosity of a collider

There is interest in discussing muon accelerators, from both the high-energy physics and accelerator side. As far as I know, muon acceleration is not something that is heavily studied at SLAC. I am open to suggestions on speakers. It would also be useful to discuss non-collider uses for accelerators. Perhaps for dark matter searches or QED. Guidance from the more fundamental science groups is essential here.

Last week Marc Ross presented the status of superconductivity for LCLS-II and its relation to ILC. Some points of interest were:
1) RF sources are important as a cost driver, just as with normal conducting copper stuctures
2) Efforts are underway to examine conductive cooling instead of liquid helium baths. The goal is to reduce costs and improve performance.
3) Surface chemistry of a thin nanometer scale layer of the superconducting material that is exposed to RF is very important to reach high gradients. Processing techniques and this chemistry will be examined during production of LCLS-II cavities.
4) Cavity shapes can also be used to increase gradient while reducing power requirements and failure mechanisms. Several new shapes have been studied in small sample sizes. Production requires "industrialization" before they are ready to be used in a scientific instrument.

Slides can be found here: https://indico.slac.stanford.edu/category/35/

Brendan

Use REPLY-ALL to reply to list

To unsubscribe from the SLACMASS-HIGGS list, click the following link:
https://listserv.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SLACMASS-HIGGS&A=1