Hello!

I am very excited to report that the CORE Science Institute will go on! This year, SLAC is working with Science in the City and The Social Engineering Project to deliver a virtual weeklong science camp to fifty 5th and 6th grade students of underrepresented backgrounds across the US. The camp will be held July 13-17 and will run each day from 9am-12pm.

There are two main volunteer opportunities for this program: lab support, and interviews. The sign-up link is here. Please spread the word!

Labs: The current daily schedule has students doing some interactive learning via an app called Nearpod for the first hour. Then, from 10am – 11am (or thereabouts), they will do an experiment/hands-on activity/lab at home with parent supervision. The labs have already been developed, but we know the students will have questions as they do the activities, and it would be difficult to provide video support for 50 students. The current plan is for the students to get support for the labs via chat, either through Zoom chat or through Google Classroom. Volunteers that sign up for a lab shift will be responsible for reading over the activity beforehand such that they are relatively familiar with the lab, and then be available during the lab shift to answer questions typed in by students and help troubleshoot any problems that come up. You can click on the link in the sign-up spreadsheet to see what each lab entails.

Interviews: After the labs on Tuesday-Friday (July 14-17), the students will divide into small groups, 2 or 3 students each, so that they can interview someone from SLAC in a more personal way via videochat (either Zoom or Google Meet). We are looking for ~20 volunteers per day to chat with students for 20 minutes, and volunteers can participate in more than one day since they’ll be chatting with different students each day. The goal is to create a space for the students to talk to real SLAC employees and learn what they do all day, whether technical or not, as well as practice their interview skills.

Thank you all very much for your help with hosting students from Ile Omode last year! This year’s virtual format for CSI is a new challenge but we are excited to keep the program running.

Cheers,

Margaux

Use REPLY-ALL to reply to list

To unsubscribe from the KLYSTRON-SOCCER list, click the following link:
https://listserv.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=KLYSTRON-SOCCER&A=1