Dear colleagues,

The WLCG/HSF virtual workshop will take place from the 19th to the 24th of November.
The WLCG part of the agenda will be focused on storage.
The workshop aims at producing a short document giving a clear indication about how storage should evolve in light of HL-LHC and how it will progress throughout Run-3 in preparation for that. Following the recommendations of the HL-LHC review, we should try to define a timeline and prioritisze the future activities. The discussion should involve other data intensive projects beside LHC as one of the outcomes should be how to evolve into an infrastructure that can accommodate the HEP needs and not just WLCG.

On the 23rd of November (third day of the WS) we plan to dedicate to the storage technology providers, considering main storage technologies used on the WLCG infrastructure, namely, Echo, EOS, DCache, DPM, XRootd and StoRM.

For the storage technology providers we expect to present the roadmap. Some points to be covered in the presentations are: AAI and tokens, access and TPC protocols, backends (JBOD, object stores, ..), QoS (redundancy, performance, cost; plans for erasure encoding, ..). What is the expected level of support in terms of code development but also effort in testing, deployment, support to sites and experiments. Which impact does this have on the future evolution of storage (maintenance, active development). This also includes plans for other communities and what will relevant for us (what happens in the next three years).

We are also collecting input form the WLCG VOs and sites and we might send you the list of questions in addition to the points mentioned above.

Please, mark these dates in your calendar and let us know, in case you have suggestions regarding WS organization or agenda or some specific questions.

Thank you
Kind regards

Julia on behalf of the WS organizers.

Use REPLY-ALL to reply to list

To unsubscribe from the XROOTD-L list, click the following link:
https://listserv.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=XROOTD-L&A=1