Hi all,

The CORE Science Institute will continue in a virtual format this summer, partnered with Science in the City as we did last year. This year, the leads from SLAC are myself and Sean Kalsi, and we’re starting the planning process now because we’re super on top of our stuff (jokes).

The camp will take place June 21-25, 9am – 12pm, with forty-ish 5th-6th grade students, in the same format as last year (intro, lesson, lab, interview a SLAC person, wrapup). The first step is to plan the lessons and labs for each of the five days. We can’t reuse all of the teaching materials from last year because a couple of the teachers aren’t available, so we’re looking for help. If anyone is willing to teach a ~20-30 minute lesson or develop a ~60 minute lab activity or both, please let Sean and I know! If you have any ideas, also feel free to send them our way; you can help develop a lesson or lab without having to lead it if you don’t want to. It doesn’t necessarily have to be physics-related or SLAC-related – last year we learned about motors and clouds and such. It’s more about a hands-on activity that is fun but somewhat educational. (We will send out a kit of materials to the students ahead of the camp.)

I will send out information about volunteering for labs and interviews when we get closer, so please mark your calendar and look out for that as well.

Cheers,

Margaux

Margaux Lopez

Commissioning Engineer

Vera C. Rubin Observatory

La Serena, Chile

Use REPLY-ALL to reply to list

To unsubscribe from the KLYSTRON-SOCCER list, click the following link:
https://listserv.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=KLYSTRON-SOCCER&A=1