Hi Brian,

Thank you for your feedback.

Already for some time we have been asked by our colleagues form the experiments to give a clear timeline for XRootD4.
With the announcement we wanted to give the XRootD community a strong push towards XRootD5 so the migration is
finalised before RUN3. As we are moving with XRootD5 to C++14 it simply won’t be possible to back-port some of the
new developments/bugfixes to XRootD4 and hence the end of full support of XRootD4.

That said, nobody will be left behind. We are determined to help with the migration, and if there is a strong desire in the
community we can offer a period of limited support for XRootD4 (for example until end of Q2).

XRootD5 is backwards compatible with XRootD4 and the transition should be straight forward. Nevertheless the sites
should allow themselves a time buffer before RUN3 so all potential issues can be addressed in a timely manner.

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers,
Michal