Hi all,

The time has (finally) come for volunteer signups for the 2021 CORE Science Institute! Please share far and wide.

This year from June 21-25, we are running two parallel virtual camps, one for 5th and 6th graders from 9am – 12pm (Science in the City students), and a separate one from 10am – 1pm for 7th and 8th graders (Greene Scholars students). We anticipate each camp to have 25-30 students, and each group will have a separate zoom connection. More details on the daily schedule and program can be found here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1emiqBmuWSArttjOM2kje9_RPt1k3eyqRmt68zFG0ZX4/edit?usp=sharing>.

The volunteer sign up link is here<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I3XqH8f1c0DRUe97lgmtcBQmjCg5QCoCtsAxpyltjmo/edit?usp=sharing>. Please add your name directly to the spreadsheet to sign up, and email me with any questions. The format is largely the same as last year, modulus the fact that we are catering to two separate groups.

There are two different volunteer opportunities: labs (requires a small amount of preparation) and interviews (zero preparation needed).

Labs: The current daily schedule has students doing some interactive learning via an app called Nearpod for the first 45 minutes. Then, for the next hour, they will do an experiment/hands-on activity/lab at home with parent supervision. The labs have already been developed, but we know the students will have questions as they do the activities, and it would be difficult to provide video support for 25 students at the same time. The students will be divided into breakout rooms with volunteers, one volunteer and 4-5 students per room. Volunteers that sign up for a lab shift will be responsible for reading over the activity beforehand such that they are relatively familiar with the lab, and then be dialed into zoom to offer support during the lab.
Goal: at least 5 volunteers per lab
Interviews: After the labs on Tuesday-Friday (June 22-25), the students will divide into small groups, 2 or 3 students each, so that they can interview someone from SLAC in a more personal way via videochat in Zoom breakout rooms. We are looking for ~12 volunteers per day per timeslot (one for 5th and 6th graders, one for 7th and 8th graders) to chat with students for 20-30 minutes, and volunteers can participate in more than one day since they’ll be chatting with different students each day. The goal is to create a space for the students to talk to real SLAC employees and learn what they do all day, whether technical or not, as well as practice their interview skills.
Goal: at least 12 volunteers per interview slot

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns, and please sign up<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I3XqH8f1c0DRUe97lgmtcBQmjCg5QCoCtsAxpyltjmo/edit?usp=sharing> for as many slots as you’re available for and ask your colleagues to do the same!

Best,
Margaux