Dear Colleagues,

With growing interest in an e+e- Higgs factory as the next major particle collider and the expectation of the start of the International Linear Collider Pre-Lab in the summer of 2022, the ILC International Development Team is setting up working groups to explore the ILC physics potential and detector technologies, and to provide support for software and for the machine-detector interface.   Please review this new ILC organization at:

https://linearcollider.org/team/wg3/

The working groups on physics potential are ready to begin!  With this email, we announce the kickoff meeting on May 27, 2021, at

   6am Pacific Coast / 9 am US East Coast / 3pm Central Europe / 9 pm China / 10 pm  Japan

The purpose of these groups is to advance studies of ILC physics, assist the entry of new members, and develop concepts that will inform the eventual detector proposals.  In the near term, these groups will provide input to the US Snowmass and European ECFA community studies, but we see these groups as having a longer-term presence and providing a resource for the developing ILC Laboratory.

Since the physics goals of all proposed e+e- Higgs factories are very closely aligned, we welcome people interested in other proposals, such as CLIC, CEPC, and FCC-ee, as well as collaborators in the LHC and Belle II experiments who are new either to e+e- or to the electroweak scale. We would like to develop the best possible physics understanding for whatever machine is eventually realized and build the community that will make those measurements.

Along with the kickoff introductions, we have scheduled at the May 27 meeting a mini-symposium on the implications of the muon g-2 measurement. There has been much discussion and controversy over the reality of the apparent discrepancy between theory and experiment and the prospects for resolving it within the Standard Model. A question that has received much less attention is: If the anomaly holds up, what are the possible explanations? What do these imply for future collider experiments, especially in e+e-?  We have invited a panel of four theory experts to present and debate the alternative beyond-Standard-Model explanations.

Please see the schedule of the kickoff meeting and instructions for joining at:

https://agenda.linearcollider.org/event/9218/

To subscribe to the mailing lists for the new working groups, please check the boxes at:

https://agenda.linearcollider.org/event/9154/registrations/

We look forward to seeing you there.

Best wishes,

Aidan Robson, Michael Peskin, Junping Tian    (IDT WG3 Physics Potential and Opportunities conveners)
Hitoshi Murayama, Jenny List, Claude Vallée   (IDT WG3 chair & deputies)

  Michael E. Peskin                           [log in to unmask]
  HEP Theory Group, MS 81                       -------
  SLAC National Accelerator Lab.        phone: 1-(650)-926-3250
  2575 Sand Hill Road                       fax:     1-(650)-926-2525
  Menlo Park, CA 94025 USA              www.slac.stanford.edu/~mpeskin/