On 01.12.2023 15:04, Guilherme Amadio wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
Hi!

> On Fri, Dec 01, 2023 at 02:57:25PM +0200, Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
>> On 01.12.2023 14:40, Guilherme Amadio wrote:
>>> Dear Adrian,
>> Hi!

>>> Attributes are set using xrdfs instead of xrdcp. Please take a
>>> look at the manual page for xrdfs. Here's the syntax:

>>>        Operation on extended attributes. Codes:
>>>
>>>        set   <attr>          Set extended attribute; <attr> is
>>>                                string of form name=value
>>>        get   <name>          Get extended attribute
>>>        del   <name>          Delete extended attribute
>>>        list                  List extended attributes
>>>
>>> I hope this answers your question.
>> well, yes and no :) yes i was aware of xrdfs possibility, i was hoping that
>> is doable through copy process by setting some cgi in the uri ...
>
> I don't think there's a way to set xattrs by adding cgi to the
> destination URL, but what you can do is to set the attributes locally
> and use the --xattrs option from xrdcp to preserve them when copying the
> file over. Is that good enough?
yes, this is perfect!! (especially that is already available :) )

now, the problem is if that is available for python bindings :)
I see that there is PreserveXAttrs for env, would it work to do:
xrd_client.EnvPutInt('PreserveXAttrs', 1) ?

>> Is there a technical reason for which this is not implemented? Would you take
>> a request for such a feature?
>
> I suppose I can discuss this with Andy in my next meeting, but if an
> existing methods works well enough for you, that would probably be
> better.
Well, if the above works then the mission is already accomplished, there is nothing
better than this :)

Thanks a lot!!
Adrian