Hi all,

On our XRootD in front of CEPHFS storage[1] we've tried to set it so
that the redirector does look ups/"existence checks" itself rather then
redirect such lightweight queries.

The redirector has the cephfs volume mounted, and has this directive
set:
cms.dfs lookup central redirect verify retries 2

But every test I try using gfal-ls, xrdfs ls, or something like a curl
-I, it appears that the operation gets redirected to one of the xroot
servers rather then being performed by the redirector.

Is there something else I need to set so the redirector can answer
these queries? My only thought so far is that the redirectors only role
is "manager":
all.role manager

Does it need another role to be able to do more then redirect? Or am I
grabbing at virtual straws?

It of course could be that the client tools are going beyond (or appear
to be) what a simple lookup should be and thus the request warrants
redirection. But that could be more straw clutching.

Thanks in advance all,
Matt

[1] xgate.hec.lancs.ac.uk:1094/cephfs/grid/dteam